2011 Housing Awards
Each year at our Annual Conference, the NC Housing Coalition recognizes those individuals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to advocate for affordable housing. The award categories are listed below.
Sister Barbara Sullivan Award (Volunteer of the Year)
Sister Barbara Sullivan Award (Volunteer of the Year) is given for devotion and commitment to finding viable solutions and improving housing conditions for low-income families through personal commitment and sacrifice as a volunteer.
- 2010: Garry Merritt, Winston-Salem
- 2008: Eric Hoyle, Winston-Salem
- 2007: Amy Salahsour & Matthew Prentice, Appalachian State
- 2006: Ruth Roseboro, Morganton, NC
Steven Whitesell Award (Professional of the Year)
Steven Whitesell Award (Professional of the Year) is given for making a significant impact on affordable housing through professional involvement by demonstrating efforts above and beyond normal role or duties as a housing Professional.
- 2011: Doug George, Weaver Cooke Construction
Lorisa Seibel, Durham Affordable Housing Coalition
- 2010: Brian Coyle, BB&T
- 2009: Katrina Bryant, Northeastern CDC
- 2008: Frankie Pendergraph, Pendergraph Management, LLC
- 2007: Michael Avery & Walter Hartman, City of New Bern
- 2006: Lane Sarver, The Sarver Group
Bill Rowe Service to Affordable Housing Award
In 2010, NCHC renamed its Service to Affordable Housing Award to the Bill Rowe Award, to honor his continued dedication to increase quality affordable housing and improve consumer protections in North Carolina. The award was created in honor of his role as a legislative advocate, legal resource, and community partner in the work for affordable housing.