The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency’s (NCHFA) Supportive Housing Development Program helps nonprofits, local governments, and lead regional organizations develop emergency, transitional and permanent housing for persons who are homeless and/or have disabilities. The program provides interest-free loans up to $500,000 per development. To qualify, projects must include or make available appropriate support services for the residents. Click here for more information.
NCHFA has also made available the Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications Guide, which addresses fair housing laws. Click here for more information.
Organizations such as the National Low Income Housing Coalition, Technical Assistance Collaborative, Corporation for Supportive Housing, abd The Arc are also good sources of information and resources for more information on developing housing for persons with special needs.
Please click here to see a list of centers for independent living in North Carolina.
For additional information, click on the links below.
- Title VIII: Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
- Fair and Affordable Housing: The Activist's Blueprint for Action
- Home Modifications - Funding Sources
- Disability Home Accommodation Cost Guide
- Fire Safety & Disabilities Guide
- Benefits for People with Disabilities
- Medicare and Social Security Disability: Benefits for Disabled Individuals
- American Association on Health and Disability
- Local Doctor Finder: Search by Disability